When moving day arrives, there’s nothing quite like the nagging feeling that you’re forgetting something. But, don’t let the moving blues get you down because there are a few tricks that you can use to make sure that you don’t leave anything behind.
A good rule of thumb is that the last things that you use are likely to be those that are forgotten, so make sure to do a final check through the house before leaving. As you are packing in the days leading up to the move, make a checklist of the items you need to remember to pack. If all else fails, use the following checklist to help you retrieve ten of the most forgotten items during a move.
1. Lawn Mower- Although this is not a small item that’s easy to miss, it is easy to forget your lawn mower because it’s likely to be stored in a shed or other location outside of the home.
2. Medicine- When travelers go on vacation, their medicine is one of the most commonly forgotten items. Therefore, it just stands to reason that it may also be easily overlooked during a move. Because most medications are kept in a medicine cabinet, they are unobvious at a glance.
3. Tools- We use tools for everyday fix-it projects, but we rarely think to pack them. Tools are important but, because they are not something that’s used on a daily basis, they are easy to miss when packing for a move.
4. Flashlight- When the electricity is out or you find yourself out after dark, these handy gadgets are a necessity. Moving day, however, often finds families in the dark when it comes to realizing they have forgotten their trusty flashlight.
5. Bathroom Plunger- It’s not a glamorous essential, but it is a necessary one nonetheless. Because a plunger is intentionally made to be unobvious when stored in a bathroom, it’s easy to overlook on moving day.
6. Coffee Maker- If you or someone in your family is a lover of caffeine, your coffee maker is a kitchen essential. Because it’s likely to be one of the last things that you will use before leaving the home, it’s also likely to be forgotten.
7. Toilet Paper- Speaking of one of the last things that you will use before you leave the home, toilet paper is it. Pack it or buy it when you get there but, either way, this is one kind of paper that you can’t afford to forget.
8. Car Keys– If you are using a U-Haul to take your belongings to your new home, it’s extremely easy to forget your primary or secondary set of car keys. Do yourself a favor and make a note to take them along.
9. Fire- Resistant Security Box. Most families have these, but many forget them during a move. Although most fireproof boxes are purchased to house important papers, such as deeds, titles and other essentials, they can be overlooked if they are stored in an inconspicuous place.
10. Bills- Believe it or not, bills are easy to forget. Most people think about the obvious items that they can see, but it’s too easy to accidentally shuffle in some new bills with the old ones and simply discard them. If this should happen, simply call the lender and ask for another statement or make a payment arrangement online or over the phone.